Internet Marketing Tips; Content planning will a insure a cohesive website that enhances a visitor's experience and helps them find information quickly.
Content planning insures a cohesive website that enhances the visitor’ experience.
Sometimes called ‘Information Architecture’ or ‘site plan’, content planning is one of the most important things you can do when planning for a successful website.
One of the best website projects I’ve worked on was for a couple of real estate agents who gave a lot of thought to exactly what content pages they wanted included in their website.
Besides the logo design, the website template and adding a mortgage calculator, they included a list of content pages they wanted, along with a good portion of the written text. My primary job was make sure that I provided the appropriate framework that would appeal to their target market and showcase their strengths.
#120. Internet Marketing Tips; A successful website starts with up-front content planning
There are some important elements to up-front content planning;
- Keyword research, finding keywords that relate to your product or service.
- Documentation of the keyword’s global monthly demands and number of competitor pages
- A strong site concept keyword, or main category.
- At least 10 additional keywords that relate to the site concept keyword, or sub-categories.
- Dozens of subjects that will fit under the umbrella of the sub-categories.
Your website’s visitors will hopefully stick around your site for a period of time. For this reason, every webpage is important. And, users to be able to find the information they’re looking for.
#121. Internet Marketing Tip: Plan the architecture of a website first, its navigation and its structure.
We’re not talking about graphics, text or anything cosmetic. We’re talking about a sitemap diagram, a visual representation of how all of the different webpages are going to relate to each other.
- What does this organizational chart accomplish?
To understand the context and purpose a website’s pages.
- What’s good about it?
Once you’ve added in all of the potential pages, you can drag the page titles around, playing with alternate structure and navigation schemes
- What are the drawbacks?
The diagram is laborious to create, and needs to maintained because it gets out of date fairly quickly.
#122. Internet Marketing Tips on content planning:
- Organize content according to the visitor needs
- Give pages clear and succinct names.
- Imagine your visitors visitors navigating the website. What would they be looking for?
- If you can’t explain why a visitor would be interested in a page’s content, eliminate it.
- Stay true to goals of the website, the product and/or service
- Not everything has to be a page. Some items might work better on a FAQ page, or as sidebar content.
As with most things in life, planning ahead of time will help insure that your website is cohesive. Remember that you are developing a written content for visitors that are looking for information… it just makes since to organize that information ahead of time for the best user experience.
Thank you for reading these Internet Marketing Tips. We look forward to your questions and comments, feel free to add your thoughts in the box below. SUBSCRIBE to this website and we’ll email you a newsletter twice a month talking about simple online techniques and the things that may be holding you back from growing your business.