Internet Marketing Tips; There are two aspects of an email that determine whether it gets opened by a subscriber; the ‘From’ and the ‘Subject’ lines.
- A business related email… someone interested in my services and/or products.
- An expected email, something I look forward to… like a newsletter, an ebook, a video, etc.
- An email from someone that I admire or am big fan of… want to see what they are up to.
- Something in the Subject Line attracts my attention… maybe it is amusing, inspiring – even shocking.
#203. Internet Marketing Tip: Optimize the ‘From’ line
What to Put In Your From Line:
- Use your company’s strongest branded presence as your from line. This may be your company name, but may include well-known individuals or spokespeople from your company.
- Use the same from line every time you email to create consistency.
- Keep it under 22 characters, it will be easier to read across the email platforms and smart phones.
- Never use a “do not reply” address. It discourages conversation.
#204. Internet Marketing Tip: Optimize the Email Subject Line
The subject line has a couple of jobs:
- To entice the subscriber to open it
- To accurately describe the contents in the message
Unfortunately there is no magic formula for writing subject lines that guarantee opens. The subscriber makes a choice to open (or trash) based on; how busy they are, what their expectations are of the content, their past experiences with your brand, and much, much more.
#205. Internet Marketing Tip: Always keep in mind that your visitor is asking – What’s in it for me?”
However, a carefully crafted subject line may sway their decision. If your audience is not opening your marketing emails, you may want re-thing your strategy. People open emails based on “What’s in it for me?”;
- Will it entertain me?
- Will it save me money?
- Will it make me smarter?
- Or, will it solve a problem?
Answer one those questions in the subject line, add social proof (the name of a client that benefited) or a sense of urgency (deadline or discount) and you have a far better chance of getting your marketing email opened.