Newsletter February 18th, 2014
Have you ever asked the question – How do I grab people’s attention and how do I stand out from the crowd?
Coming up with a unique marketing strategy that is ‘sexy’, catches fire and sells your product (or service) is a tricky business. One thing for sure, a marketing strategy should not be boring.
Furthermore, your brand needs a hook, or a big ‘sexy’ idea… something that answers a need or desire. Also known as a Unique Positioning Concept, a big ‘sexy’ idea should set you apart from your competition. For instance;
- FedEx’s slogan; “When your package absolutely, positively has to get there overnight.”
- Or Nyquil’s tagline, “The nighttime, coughing, achy, sniffling, stuffy head, fever, so-you-can-rest medicine.”
- Or the U.S. Army’s, “Become Army Strong.”
That brings us to the next question – “How do I discover that ‘sexy’ brand concept that gives me the best chance of selling my products or services?”
Most of the time when we sit down to think about new marketing strategies – nothing magical happens. In fact it can be overwhelming… and most of us give up after a few lukewarm ideas.
However, every once in a while if you are really, really lucky, something magical does happen and not only do you get that ‘sexy’ branding idea, the entire marketing strategy falls into place.
So, how do you get that big ‘sexy’ idea, that flash of insight that leads you to the ‘sexy’ aspect of your brand?
6 Tips for finding a big ‘sexy’ idea;
- Research – learn everything you can about your subject. Know what makes them tick, know what causes their pain, and know what triggers their buying habits. Write it all down along with some possible marketing ideas, and how your target market would benefit from your product or service.
- Take a break – Set your notes aside and go do something fun; take a walk, watch a movie, take a nap. Your brain is still working on the problem, even when you are taking a break or sleeping. Sometimes when you take a break, that all important flash of insight will come when you least expect it.
- Collaborate – Even if you don’t have a team, bounce ideas off of your family and friends. This works because other people often have a different way of looking at things, even a different approach to problems. Ask them what your Unique Position in the market is – what make you different? And, ask them how they would market your product or service.
- Move your body – Running, walking, resistance training… anything that challenges you physically will help you gain insight. Recently, I got a big ‘sexy’ idea while taking my morning walk… more about that at the end of this article.
- Don’t rush it – Give yourself some time to think about your product, your audience and your ideas. If you don’t give yourself enough time, you may settle for a less inspired idea – one that will not get you the results you are looking for.
- Set a time limit – Creativity does work better under pressure. And, long lead times lead to procastination. If coming up with this ‘sexy’ brand idea is a priority, you will be working on it in the back of your mind throughout your days… and it will come.
Remember, you have to answer the question “What’s in it for me?” So it has to have an edgy element. It has to address issues that are currently driving your target market crazy. You not only have to promise that your are going to solve that problem, you have to then deliver exactly what you promised.
And, you have to offer a solution that will (hopefully) convince your target market that they are going to have a great time learning and implimenting your solution. A solution that addresses a problem they have been dreading to confront… a solution that (once it is in place) will solve their problem, whatever that may be.
When you come up with that ‘sexy’ concept for your brand – everything else falls into place. Your headlines, subheads, and even your attention-getting opening sentence all become easier to write.
And, if you combine a powerful ‘sexy’ brand concept with an amazing offer, along with a decent call to action – your chances of SUCCESS increase exponentially!
So roll out the red carpet for those big ‘sexy’ ideas, create a welcoming environment for insight and innovation, and you big ‘sexy’ ideas will get better and your business will soar.
Thank you for reading this Newsletter. We look forward to your questions and comments, feel free to add your thoughts in the box below. SUBSCRIBE to this website and we’ll email you a newsletter twice a month talking about simple online techniques and the things that may be holding you back from growing your business.